- Read and write around your child.
- Set up a reading corner or special space for your child to read.
- Choose a wide variety of beautiful books for your child to read or look at.
- Make books and writing tools accessible to your child.
How to read a book to your child…
- Show delight and enthusiasm as you read.
- Try to read to your child each day.
- Find a time when you and the child are relaxed and interested in reading.
- Let your child choose the books and pages to read.
- Point to the pictures as you talk about them.
- Let your child hold the book and turn the pages.
How to choose a good book…
- Stories should be appropriate for the child’s age level.
- Pictures should be clear with not too many objects on a page.
- Stories should be for pleasure and fun, but include educational books, too.
- Books should help add new works to the child’s vocabulary.